To celebrate upcoming Issue #500 for Roleplaying Tips we’re holding a contest.
RPT reader Daniel at www.steamcrow.com said we should do 500 of something, such as 500 random city encounters. That’s pretty ambitious, but it sounds like a great idea. Let’s do it.
I’ve got some prizes lined up, as well, to further celebrate.
How We’ll Get to 500
Send in city encounters 1-3 sentences long. Any genre is welcome, no game rules required. Each encounter should contain some conflict to make it interesting to play.
- A poisonous animal has slipped into a potter’s store and the owner hires the PCs to kill or capture it without breaking any of his wares that line walls and shelves.
- A shadow demon is summoned to assassinate a bard during a performance. The bard sings of the mistakes, ineptness and evil deeds of the PCs. Do they intervene when the attack happens?
- A nervous merchant hires the PCs to escort him and a wagon load of goods to the port where his customer waits. Thieves wait until mid-way through the exchange to take advantage of the chaos of port crowds and potential argument of whose gold was just stolen – did the exchange take place before the attack or not?
The theme for prizes this time is “take your pick.”
- NBOS software. Winners pick which product they receive.
- Kobold Guide to Game Design. Winners decide if they want volume 1, 2, or the just released volume 3. (PDF)
- GM Mastery books. Take your pick of Inn Essentials, Holiday Essentials or NPC Essentials. (PDF)
- Penguin Books has also contacted me and are offering copies of the new fantasy novel, Left Hand of God. How cool is that?
The contest closes July 20. Multiple entries give you more chances to be randomly drawn for a prize. Plus, if 100 RPT fans submit just 5 entries each, 500 entries should be a snap! Let’s try to hit 500 random city encounters to celebrate RPT #500.